Forums / Support / Feature Request

Feature Request

Enable multi-threaded header download. For large groups this would significantly cut down the download times. This is my biggest gripe with BB by far as I have to keep it running for days just to download headers, one at a time, from groups.

Enable some sort of spam/junk filters to reduce the amount of password protected files, .rar files with .exe's inside, advertisements etc.

Some improvement to reduce the storage requirements for the cache files.

thanks

BinaryBoy's reply to pgb205 #15861 @

Enough people have mentioned the cache size that I should probably look into it. As a workaround for threaded header download, you could download headers from a different newsgroup with a second instance of Binary Boy by launching it with the -multi switch like: binboy.exe -multi It's not a perfect solution, but it might improve the speed. Not sure if I can make an effective spam filter but I'll make a note of it.

pgb205's reply to BinaryBoy #15862 @

running two instances of BB is what I have been doing to at least half the time it takes to download headers. However, my news server allows up to 40 connections. Don't think my PC could handle that many instances of Binary Boy at one time.

nikkil's reply to pgb205 #15891 @

Hmmm. Just curious. Can you post some stats on your PC? Is 40 connections that much already?