Forums / Support / Usenet Status

Usenet Status

An undersea cable used by BinaryBoy.com's Usenet provider has been cut and could potentially impact the news servers over the next couple of days while repairs are made. So far there don't seem to be any major problems though.

Feb 9 Update: This is affecting the European servers only. If you have any problems with ams.binaryboy.com, you might be able to connect to nyc.binaryboy.com.

Feb 14 Update: Weather is delaying repairs.

Feb 18 Update: The cable has been repaired and they are now testing it.

nikkil's reply to BinaryBoy #16048 @

Just a quick thought. Are there still notifications like these today?

BinaryBoy's reply to nikkil #16053 @

My provider emails me notices and if they seem important enough I post them. Nothing major has happened recently though. Most often it's something like warning of a temporary slowdown or possible 5 minute disruption due to maintenance. If anything major happens again, I'll definitely post.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #16058 @

This will be happening tonight on the ams.binaryboy.com servers.

Description:
An upstream network provider will be performing maintenance on one of our transatlantic links.

Impact:
End users may experience slow speeds when pulling older articles during this window

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #16976 @

BinaryBoy's Usenet provider is looking into some problems with the servers. They hope to have the issue resolved soon.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #16978 @

There's been a new fiber cut that is affecting the European servers. If you're getting slow speeds or failures to connect to ams.binaryboy.com, try nyc.binaryboy.com Binary Boy's Usenet provider is looking into the issue.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #16979 @

A repair ship has been dispatched, but is not expected to arrive on site until Friday. Local traffic isn't expected to be impacted, but users pulling older articles may experience slow speeds until the cables are repaired.