Forums / Support / Difficulties with the new cache structure

Difficulties with the new cache structure

I'm having a hell of a time trying to download all headers in the newsgroups I frequent. I have three of four that have 40+ million headers. I'll get one group with 77 million headers downloaded and when I try to do the next one with just over 43 million, my system bogs down. CPU activity goes to 100% and header download drops to a few hundred a second after about 8 million headers. Because I'm grabbing 20 to 30 million headers it would be days before I complete. The computer becomes very unresponsive, even to simply cancel the download operation. I thought maybe I've got some kind of install problem. When I try to reset the cache, the cache files are still there (althought the older style cache files have gone). If I delete the new cache files manually, it doesn't seem to help when I try to download them again. When I try to edit group list files, BinaryBoy opens the wrong folder, and I have to go hunt them down. I found my registration key to do a full re-install but was wondering if simply un-installing BinaryBoy will clear the Windows Registery keys.

BinaryBoy's reply to ahartley #15542 @

When you download those headers, are you also getting a lot of search results? If the search results are still in memory, that could be the problem. Try setting the Max value on the Search tab to something small like 10 and then set the "More Headers" values separately. (Edit: In the next build when memory is low, the search results will be reset before the refresh instead of after. This should prevent the problem, although you can also speed things up in this situation by setting the max results/refresh separately as described.)

Yeah, the delete cache files command still only applies to the old files. That will change.

Windows 7 changed the way the file dialog boxes work. It wants to open the previously used folder instead of the folder it's told to open. There's a trick to forcing it to open the right folder though and I''ll do that in a future build.

Uninstalling will delete settings and usually isn't worth the trouble. It's better to find the cause of the problem.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #15543 @

The search results are only part of the problem. Due to a bug, it appears to be getting bogged down while tracking which articles are in the cache. Looking for a fix now.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #15544 @

Update: Yup. It was updating and checking article numbers way too often. A fix will be available either tonight or tomorrow.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #15548 @

When I try to edit group list files, BinaryBoy opens the wrong folder

Which operating system are you using? Windows 7 or an earlier one?

nikkil's reply to ahartley #16373 @

I'm having a hell of a time trying to download all headers in the newsgroups I frequent. I have three of four that have 40+ million headers. I'll get one group with 77 million headers downloaded and when I try to do the next one with just over 43 million, my system bogs down. CPU activity goes to 100% and header download drops to a few hundred a second after about 8 million headers. Because I'm grabbing 20 to 30 million headers it would be days before I complete. The computer becomes very unresponsive, even to simply cancel the download operation. I thought maybe I've got some kind of install problem. When I try to reset the cache, the cache files are still there (althought the older style cache files have gone). If I delete the new cache files manually, it doesn't seem to help when I try to download them again. When I try to edit group list files, BinaryBoy opens the wrong folder, and I have to go hunt them down. I found my registration key to do a full re-install but was wondering if simply un-installing BinaryBoy will clear the Windows Registery keys.

Hi buddy, I'm assuming that you already fixed this since I don't see any replies. Can you please show us how you did it?