Forums / Support / Cache structure

Cache structure

Hey, Howard! After all these years, I am still very much in love with BB!!!!

Of course, I do have a question. I have been running for a very long time on an XP system and just upgraded the OS to Windows7. I don't recall what version of BB I was running before the fresh OS install, but it wasn't all that old I don't think (months, perhaps). Anyhoo, I decided to get the latest beta and install it to see your latest enhancements.

With occasional re-installs, I have learned over the years to note the location of things (master files, grouplists, cache) and I have a specific raid setup that houses my BB cache structure. Something like 35GB in a few files currently. I invoked regedit to declare the drive/folder location and lo, it makes a sub-directory within called "2" with further sub-dirs of news server, "ax" and the specified newsgroup. This contains piles of "bbch" files which I presume are the "new" method of your cache structure. True?

I believe you've done this to break away from these behemoth "txt" cache files and I am okay with your decision, but are my old cache files now defunct? A moderate pain for me to recreate all that, but I will take my lumps if this is the new BB way.

Thanks for all of your toiling over the years!

BinaryBoy's reply to The Dead Senator #15518 @

Hi! Glad to see you're still using Binary Boy!

Yes, this is the new way. Right now there are no plans to import the old cache, although I'm still considering it. In cases where the "download extended headers" option was unchecked, this will be impossible.

As you mentioned, those files were getting pretty huge. The old system was designed when newsgroups had much less than a million headers. The new method sends headers directly to the cache without any merging. The "2" folder allows the original to be preserved in case you want to install an older version of Binary Boy.

The two letter folder distributes the files more evenly to try to avoid reaching directory limits in older file systems (which shouldn't be used anyway). They're actually the first and last letters of the newsgroup name.

Sending you a PM as well.

The Dead Senator's reply to BinaryBoy #15519 @

Thanks for the prompt reply! Well, I am struggling through rebuilding my cache files. I suppose it will be tough on this month's cap, but I will do it anyhow. I am on the third NG, so it will take a few more days. Your timely and concise attention is always appreciated. Keep up the good work.

gavind's reply to The Dead Senator #16702 @

Thanks for the prompt reply! Well, I am struggling through rebuilding my cache files. I suppose it will be tough on this month's cap, but I will do it anyhow. I am on the third NG, so it will take a few more days. Your timely and concise attention is always appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Indeed. Just wondering, are you still using BB today? How is it working for you so far?