Forums / Support / save and load BB Settings

save and load BB Settings

Hello.

Once again I had to change some little bits in my Win Xp Pro Sp3 Computer.
After a restart BB crashed and Win wanted to send an Error-Report to MS.
After this BB did not work any more.
Installing the newest BB-Build did not fix the Problem.
Okay, so searched for a way to uninstall BB, restart and then install again.
The only way to uninstall seemed to use the Software-uninstall-way MS included in XP. But there BB only left me the choice to uninstall everything oder to not uninstall.
Well i feared this: BB-uninstall cleaned about 20GB of unassembled parts and every BB-setting i had made in the last years.
*sigh*
Well after I restarted the Computer and installed BB again it worked, but I had to make every setting manually.
So there are some questions/suggestions:
1. Is there a way so store all the BB-Settings in a file and reload it later?
If there ist no such way: how about creating ist? And if possible: How about a file with plain test, so that the user is able to edit little bits with a simple text-editor and then load them into BB?
2. Is there a way to uninstall BB without deleting all the parts and so on? It only asked me if I wanted to keep the group-lists, but most of the other stuff was deleted.
maybe the uninstall-Programm can be made in a way, that the User gets a choice what it can delete and what not?

I know, I should have made copy of everything, befor I uninstalled BB, but this Programm has its files spread at so many places, that it is nit so easy to locate everything.
3. Maybe it is possible so BB only uses Directories, the User can define beforehand.
Grouplists, Masterlists, Historylists, settings, Logs, Cache...

Thanks for reading.

BinaryBoy's reply to Shinji #15350 @

Generally reinstalling should be the last option. There's a Master Reset command under the File menu that will let you be more selective in what you delete. Also, if Binary Boy crashes on startup, you can run binboy.exe from the command-line with the -dlog switch to see what it was loading when it crashed. Usually it's the history file for some reason. It's easily deleted and Binaray Boy will create a new one.

Sorry about the deleted parts. That used to be optional. I don't know when that messagebox was removed. I'll put it back in.

> 1. Is there a way so store all the BB-Settings in a file and reload it later?

Not within Binary Boy but regedit lets you export and import sections of the registry. Binary Boy's settings are at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hochsw\BinaryBoy\1.00

> 2. Is there a way to uninstall BB without deleting all the parts and so on?

There used to be. I'll add it again.

> 3. Maybe it is possible so BB only uses Directories, the User can define beforehand.
Grouplists, Masterlists, Historylists, settings, Logs, Cache...

Yes, that would be convenient. Currently I follow Microsoft's guidelines on where to store the various (App Data, Local App Data, etc...) files but a lot of people would like it all in one place. You can manually do this by changing the registry entries that end in "Folder" like "GroupListFolder", "HistoryFolder", etc...

Shinji's reply to BinaryBoy #15352 @

Hello.

> There's a Master Reset command under the File menu that will let you be more selective in what you delete.

I know this command, but when BB crashes as soon as I start it, all the Menues inside of BB are useless.

> Also, if Binary Boy crashes on startup, you can run binboy.exe from the command-line with the -dlog switch to see what it was loading when it crashed.

I'll try to remember this, when such a problem shows its ugly head again 8)

> Sorry about the deleted parts. That used to be optional. I don't know when that messagebox was removed. I'll put it back in.

Thank you very much!

>> 1. Is there a way so store all the BB-Settings in a file and reload it later?
> Not within Binary Boy but regedit lets you export and import sections of the registry.

Well, I looked in some of the Files belonging zu BB and found a -binboy.xml-. It looks like the Server-settings are stored there.
But one Option to save and load all Settings at once would be very nice. Like you can find in BroadbandRouters and so on.

>> 3. Maybe it is possible so BB only uses Directories, the User can define beforehand.
>> Grouplists, Masterlists, Historylists, settings, Logs, Cache...
>Yes, that would be convenient. Currently I follow Microsoft's guidelines on where to store the various (App Data, Local App Data, etc...) files but a lot of people would like it all in one place.
>You can manually do this by changing the registry entries that end in "Folder" like "GroupListFolder", "HistoryFolder", etc...

But then I will have to do this everytime I need to reinstall BB. 8(

Well. thanks for the quick answer!

lehua768's reply to BinaryBoy #15353 @

Is there a way so store all the BB-Settings in a file and reload it later?If there ist no such way: how about creating ist? And if possible: How about a file with plain test, so that the user is able to edit little bits with a simple text-editor and then load them into BB?Is there a way to uninstall BB without deleting all the parts and so on? It only asked me if I wanted to keep the group-lists, but most of the other stuff was deleted.maybe the uninstall-Programm can be made in a way, that the User gets a choice what it can delete and what not? I've already entered your email address and your info has been sent. If you don't get the email or if there are any problems, please let me know.

BinaryBoy's reply to lehua768 #15358 @

Deleting parts during uninstall is now optional.