Forums / Support / Some help please

Some help please

It's been quite some time since I used BB and the binaries. I had to install everything new and make upgrades. I am using Pro version 1.96 Build 568 and Astraweb for my server.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I just forgot how to use BB all together. The problem "I think" I'm having is with the downloading of headers with a new alt.binaries.*

For example, I wanted to get some Battlestar Galactica episodes. I did a search on the web for what binaries I could find them on and came up with "alt.binaries.tv". This was just one of them.

I put all my info in the advanced section and placed a * on the search function. The starting point is clicked for ALL. I name my new search to "TV" and I click OK.

Everything starts up fine and the headers start downloading lightning fast. The problem is that it keeps going and going and going etc....

I was over 17 million headers after 2 hours and I finally gave up. I hit the STOP button and started all over again. This time under the search function I put "battlestar galactica" (no quotes).

I restarted the search and it started dling headers. I went out with my friends for a while and 3 hours later I come home and it's still downloading headers. The count was over 23 million.

Am I doing something wrong here? Am I supposed to wait until ALL the headers finish downloading? If so, how many hours does a huge binary like TV or TVSERIES take to dl? Is there any way around downloading every single header before I can see the darn things?

I am used to dling from small binaries with 50,000 to 100,000 headers. It usually takes about 2 minutes to load all the headers when searching a brand new binary.

Thanks for any help with this :)

BinaryBoy's reply to Hotwired #11397 @

In a large newsgroup like that, it's better to use LAST instead of ALL to download headers so you limit both the bandwidth and time it takes to download.

It's also possible to search without downloading the headers by using an NZB search engine. These web sites allow you to download only the search results instead of all headers to Binary Boy, which then downloads the files.

For example, you could search at http://www.binsearch.info/. Check the files you want, click the Create NZB button at the bottom of the results and either open or save the NZB file. If you save the NZB file, you can load it into Binary Boy by right-clicking the Queue and clicking "Load from NZB file". Binary Boy will then download the files as it normally would.

Happy downloading!

Hotwired's reply to BinaryBoy #11401 @

Thx a bunch BB. The nzb files are working like a charm :)

BinaryBoy's reply to Hotwired #11402 @

Great!