Forums / Support / Just Upgraded And Can Get Only 10 Days Posts

Just Upgraded And Can Get Only 10 Days Posts

I just upgraded to V1.96 Build 595. I am using Giganews for a server.

Before I upgraded I could get the entire 140 days of postings that Gignews stores, now I only get 10 days.

Also BB slowed down a lot. Not the downloads but the responsiveness when I click on buttons. A couple of times I started a download and I could not get BB to respond until the download was finished.

I checked by Gignews account and nothing has changed. I can't find anything in the settings that would limit me to only 10 days of postings.

Any Ideas? Thank you

BinaryBoy's reply to schmuck281 #10015 @

For responsiveness, try running Binary Boy from the Start button like this:

binboy.exe -3

That will eliminate the progress updates from the queue. They've been known to slow the program a lot in some cases. Also uncheck everything in the "Debugging Information" area of the Logging tab.

I'll attempt to reproduce the missing headers problem. If you want to send me a specific newsgroup to test, you send send the name to support at binaryboy dot com.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #10024 @

Just tried giganews and tested it without any problems with about 2 months of headers.

Make sure "Delete headers older than" on the Server tab in the Settings is either unchecked or set to a long enough time period. Try unchecking all options on the Header Filter tab. On the Newsgroups tab, check "Cache subjects on disk" and uncheck "Delete cache files older than."

schmuck281's reply to schmuck281 #10048 @

Now I'm really confused. Some of the newsgroups are showing posts back to April but others, such as alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks are only showing one month back. I know that Giganews stores back at least 140 days and I think now back 180 days.

The speed and responsiveness have not changed. When I pull the task manager up and look at performance it looks like it is maxing out my CPU. It's a Intel 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo. It shouldn't be maxed out.

BinaryBoy's reply to schmuck281 #10049 @

Re: older headers
Binary Boy won't hold more than 2GB of headers in the results. You might be running up against this limit. Try searching for specific words and you should see some older results. For example, currently the oldest header in that newsgroup contains the words blue, eyed and devil. (Although it might age off the server soon).

Re: CPU usage
On the Privacy tab in the Settings, try setting both options to Delete. Overwriting can take a lot of CPU time. Also make sure the Folders tab in the Settings is empty.

Did you find any disk logging options enabled on the Logging tab in the Settings?

schmuck281's reply to BinaryBoy #10080 @

I made sure that all the logging was unchecked, as you said. That made a little difference. Changing the Privacy tabs to Delete helped a lot more. It's still a little slow but I think that's normal. It is not maxing out the CPU anymore.

I tried searching on the words you said but got nothing outside the month of postings I get now. That is baffling me because some newsgroups show postings back to April and others just a month or two.

Thanks for your help.

BinaryBoy's reply to schmuck281 #10081 @

In the groups where you're not seeing very far back, the files probably happen to have more parts per file (larger files maybe), which means more headers to hold per day. The words I mentioned were in the oldest header stored on the server. It probably got deleted. If you try searching for some random words, you might see some older results pop up.

schmuck281's reply to BinaryBoy #10084 @

Well, I think I have established that BB is not the problem. I also have Giganews Newsreader install, though I like BB better, and it is showing the same number of postings as BB.

I think I'll contact them.

Thanks for your help. It's damn strange that it happened the same time I upgraded though.

schmuck281's reply to schmuck281 #10088 @

Hi. I did a little more searching.

I am using an audiobooks newsgroup. It shows that thereis a total of 36885365 headings in that group but BB is only downloading from 31700007. My starting point is set to all. Why is it filtering out the previous headers.

Have a nice Turkey Day and don't worry about getting back to me until after that.

12:52:48: CSearchSession::OnRefresh(): online: 1
12:52:48: OnRefresh(): Group list contains newsgroups.
12:52:49: OnRefresh: Checking for newcode.
12:52:49: GetSubjects called. Starting job.
12:52:49: ForceSelectGroup1(): Forcing refresh of newsgroup "alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks"
12:52:49: GetToIdle(): Already in idle state. Returning success.
12:52:49: [728] MetaReturn(0): Executing 41
12:52:49: SelectGroup2(): Sending GROUP alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks
12:52:49: [728] Sending: GROUP alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks
12:52:49: [728] OnReceive(): 59 read. Returning Success
12:52:49: [728] MetaReturn(0): Executing 42
12:52:49: [728] Response: 211 5185359 31700007 36885365 alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks
12:52:49: SelectGroup3(): Newsgroup entered successfully.
12:52:49: SelectGroup3(): Currently selected group set to "alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks"
12:52:49: [728] MetaReturn(0): Executing 15
12:52:49: GetSubjects2(): Requesting subjects.
12:52:49: GetSubjects2(): First article: 31700007, Last article: 36885365, (Approx) Total: 5185359. Next: 14230247, Range: 0
12:52:49: GetSubjects2(): Requesting ALL
12:52:49: GetSubjects2(): OriginalFirst: 31700007, OriginalLast: 36885365
12:52:49: 12:52:49: Setting m_xs path to C:\Documents and Settings\Schmuck\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\Cache\
12:52:49: Setting m_xs names to 1ec613885cf2903d4478, 13111062134c19db5ce1760

BinaryBoy's reply to schmuck281 #10090 @

Hi. I did a little more searching.

I am using an audiobooks newsgroup. It shows that thereis a total of 36885365 headings in that group but BB is only downloading from 31700007. My starting point is set to all. Why is it filtering out the previous headers.

31700007 is the first article number available in the newsgroup.

36885365 is the last (most recent) article number

5185359 is an estimate of the total number of headers, which is usually just the lowest article number subtracted from the highest. In other words, it's the maximum number of headers possible and isn't necessarily the real total.

Those three numbers are returned by the server.

14230247 is the "Next" pointer maintained by Binary Boy for doing "New" and "Last New" searches. "All" and "Last" searches ignore this number and don't update it.

If you look a few lines down from the log text, you should also see an adjusted range based on headers already requested and it should show a little information about the cache as well.

If you want to see all the ranges of headers previously requested, go to C:\Documents and Settings\Schmuck\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\Cache\ and look in binboy.bbcx. All the ranges will be listed under the line containing the server and newsgroup name.

If you want to look at the actual cache and you have either a text editor or file viewer capable of dealing with large files, you can view the filename that looks like servername!!newsgroupname.txt Not all of it is text but you should be able to see some words you can search for to see the oldest headers. The oldest headers are at the beginning of the file.

Have a nice Turkey Day and don't worry about getting back to me until after that.

No problem. It's digesting time.

schmuck281's reply to BinaryBoy #10112 @

It seems that the more I try to resolve this the worse it gets. Now BB downloads the header and then shows me no files found, even though my search is *.* and the filter is the standard "Make Money Fast".

Well, at least I have learned to use NZB files but though BB downloads the files it is completly locked up and won't even load the screen. I just get a gray field with the que numbers.

So I can work around with the NZB files. Thanks

BinaryBoy's reply to schmuck281 #10116 @

Now BB downloads the header and then shows me no files found, even though my search is *.*

Make sure all Search options on the Search Strings tab in the Settings are checked. Make sure all Filter options on that same tab aren't blocking the results. Look for anything that blocks the headers on the Header Filter tab in the Settings as well.

On the Logging tab in the Settings, try the "Log search/filter result for every subject" option. Set the Starting point to Last 10000 or some other small value and click Refresh. Go to the the File menu and click View Log. See if it shows a filter name beside each subject. If it does, that's the one that's blocking.

though BB downloads the files it is completly locked up and won't even load the screen.

It definitely should not be this slow. Do you have some anti-virus software that might be scanning each file as it's downloaded? If so, that can lock out Binary Boy while the scanner is reading the file.

Also remember the previous settings: Uncheck logging options. Run Binary Boy with the -3 switch to minimize the progress updates. Clear the Folders tab in the Settings. Use Delete on the Privacy tab.

schmuck281's reply to schmuck281 #10089 @

It looks to me like there's a pointer that's stuck.