Forums / Support / Erro: 411 no such newsgroup

Erro: 411 no such newsgroup

I suspect that the problem I'm seeing is a problem with my service provider, not BB, but I'm hoping there are settings I can change to get more information to tell the service provider (newgroup-access) who is being unhelpful so far:

I've been using the same service provider for several years, but with some newsgroups I'm getting an error when I try to get headers: "411 no such newsgroup"

I've tried:
* Redownloading the newsgroups
* Creating a new group list
* Reseting (master and individual pointers)

Is there a way to find out more of what is wrong?
Steve

BinaryBoy's reply to sdavies2720 #8837 @

The first thing you should do is to make sure Binary Boy is trying to enter the newsgroup you think its entering. To do that, run Binary Boy with the -log switch. Binary Boy will write its progress to "Documents\Binary Boy\Logs\log.txt" Load that file into notepad and search for "Sending GROUP". The text after that will be the newsgroup name. If that looks ok, then the problem is definitely on the server side.

Some Usenet providers have begun banning certain newsgroups, which might be the problem here because you mentioned that other groups work. There's an organization that maintains a list of banned groups but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. Try searching the web for the name of the newsgroup and you might find more info on whether it's been banned or not.

sdavies2720's reply to BinaryBoy #8848 @

Thanks for the help, but this is still odd. I ran BinBoy.exe -log I hit the Search icon, loaded the problem group list and tried to pull down headers from a couple of groups.

I then closed BinBoy. I found the log.txt file (correct time and date) and all that is in it is:

##-------------------------------------------------
## Binary Boy Log File
##
## Created: Jul 04, 2008 22:36:48:
##
22:36:48: Command-line: -log
Checking for duplicate uninstall keys

Nothing more. The groups are not odd ones -- alt.binaries.classical.music is the first.

sdavies2720's reply to BinaryBoy #8849 @

Ah, I should have read your response more closely.

There's another longer log under Documents (where you said). Yes, BB is sending the right group name, and only getting 54 bytes back, which is I think the string that it is displaying.

I'll work on my provider. Thanks.

Steve