Forums / Support / BB Crashing

BB Crashing

Error Message:
BinBoy.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. you will need to restart the program. An error log is being generated.

I'm using BB Pro version 1.96, build 568. Windows 2000 OS.

No problems until I switched from Verizon newsgroups to NewsgroupDirect via Comcast. Now using an SSL connection, port 563. BB does download files but sometimes crashes in the middle of a session. If it does make it to the end, the error message shows and BB shuts down.

Should I try the Pro beta? Any other suggestions?

BinaryBoy's reply to Zeno #8467 @

It shouldn't hurt to download the latest beta but there are no changes in the SSL code so it won't help either.

Does this always happen while searching headers? If so, try reducing the number of headers you search at one time. Binary Boy crashes when it has to hold more than 2GB of headers even when you have more than 2GB of RAM.

If that's not the problem, can you run Binary Boy with the log enabled? To do that, click the Windows Start button and type: binboy.exe -log -ilog

Then run Binary until it crashes. The last few lines of log.txt in Documents\Binary Boy\Logs should show what BB was doing before the crash. You can send me the whole log.txt or at least the last dozen or so lines if you like. Please send to support at binaryboy dot com. Don't post logs in the forum.

pgb205's reply to BinaryBoy #10152 @

same thing is happening to me. The situation was much worse on win2k than it is on winxp. The problem occurs most often for me when BB is searching through a group with large amount of headers. The machine only has 512Mb of ram but I've setup virtual memory to 4Gb.

BinaryBoy's reply to pgb205 #10153 @

It's going to crash at 2GB of results even if you have more memory available. The only option is to search for fewer headers.

sdavies2720's reply to BinaryBoy #10376 @

It's going to crash at 2GB of results even if you have more memory available. The only option is to search for fewer headers.

Is there a work-around -- I think I'm hitting the 2gb limit.

I'm trying to get a couple of files to complete a large multi-part download -- but I'm having to go back to the start of Forte's online list, so I'm downloading about 6.5 million headers.

What I've tried:
* Filters: If I limit the number of headers to bring in, the filer works (I get a few matches -- just not the file I'm looking for). If I bring in all headers or try to bring in too many, I get 0 results (not even the ones that I would get with a smaller header set).

* Load all, then search: BB crashes

* Load 6.5mm headers, then filter: BB crashes

* Search on load: BB crashes

Is there a way for me to find the old file without BB crashing on me?

Steve

BinaryBoy's reply to sdavies2720 #10377 @

You can have more than 2GB of headers on disk. The crash happens when you load more than 2GB of matching *results* into memory. If it's crashing just from searching and your search is very specific, then something else is happening.

On the Newsgroups tab in the Settings, make sure "Cache folders on disk" is checked.

On the Search Strings tab, enable "Apply search/filter strings during subject load".

When searching, set the Starting Point to ALL.

Set the Search to an exact portion of the subject or filename you're looking for so that you minimize the number of unwanted results.

Right-click the Search button to search the existing cache.

If all else fails, you can skip the header search entirely by using an NZB search engine. When you get an NZB file, you can either double-click it in Windows or right-click the Binary Boy Queue and load the file. Binary Boy will then download the files.

There's a NZB search engine at http://www.binsearch.info/ and you can find others by searching google for NZB search engine Since you're looking at headers online, your Usenet service might also allow you to download those results as an NZB file.

sdavies2720's reply to BinaryBoy #10398 @

Thanks. I never could bring up the headers, but at least with your suggestions BB didn't crash.

I didn't know about the NZB files -- I'd seen the feature to load the files but hadn't understood their capability. It turned out that I had a NZB for this particular download already.

The NZB worked like a charm. Thank you.

Steve

BinaryBoy's reply to sdavies2720 #10403 @

Great. Happy downloading!