Forums / Support / maybe a bug decoding files new build 196.551

maybe a bug decoding files new build 196.551

Last night I installed the new build, and since then I have noticed a strange behavior, some files are downloaded complete, all parts to the parts folder but they are not decoded to the attachments folder. I grabbed some files - [www.binaries4ever.net] Mailman01 post : - Nero 7 Premium Reloaded 7.5.9.0 Vista Ready!!! - from a.b.b4e and it was 16 rar files and 2 pars, parts 5, 8 and 9 were missing from the attachments folder, so I ran dr binary and they decoded complete, none of the parts were missing. I looked in the parts folder and counted manualy, they were all there.
The same thing happened on another dl last night but I thought it was a fluke - now it looks like maybe a bug.

BinaryBoy's reply to howard251 #1766 @

Unable to reproduce this. If there were any errors logged in c:\program files\binary boy\errorlog.txt at the time of the problem, please let me know.

One situation that can cause this is when a directory can't contain any more filenames. With long filenames, this typically happens at around 2000-3000 files. The "Stop if disk space under" option on the Files tab can also cause this to happen if triggered.

If you want to test whether the recent Privacy tab option are causing the problem, you could set them to Recycle and then check the Recycle bin if it happens again.

howard251's reply to BinaryBoy #1781 @

Hi, i grabbed my name is earl just now from a.b.multimedia (#a.b.mm on EFNet Presents REQ 22832: [ My.Name.Is.Earl.S02E09.HDTV.XviD-XOR ]) I just grabbed the rars, no par files. parts 3, 6 and .rar were missing from the attachments folder. Nothing on the log tab except for "downloading filename. .. ." (1-81 are listed there, I looked) nothing in errlog.txt - I deleted it just now but the last entry was timed 15 min ago and had to do with renaming a cache file for a group I hadn't visited b4. I have not hit any max files ceiling - its a NTFS drive and DR Binary created the 3 complete no prob. Sorry I can't provide any better feedback then to say it IS happening, am I the only one ?

howard251's reply to howard251 #1782 @

It seems to happen more often when I'm multitasking, watching a movie or surfing the web while BBoy downloads. I don't believe it has happened while I activly use the program in the foreground. Maybe just a coincidence , but thought I'd mention it.

BinaryBoy's reply to howard251 #1783 @

How many download connections are you using on the Server tab in the Settings?

howard251's reply to BinaryBoy #1784 @

5 , I have a giganews acct that says it allows 10, but I seem to have found 5 the most efficient number for throughput.

BinaryBoy's reply to howard251 #1786 @

Ok. Im still not seeing this but I'll keep trying. You mght be able to catch the problem in a log by using the -declog switch or enabling the decoding log from the Logging tab in the Settings.

howard251's reply to BinaryBoy #1789 @

I will send it to your support@binaryboy.com address.

BinaryBoy's reply to howard251 #1790 @

Got it. Can you send me an earlier section of the log where part35.rar was actually downloaded? If you look in the same folder there will be other logs named like log(xx).txt It will probably be in one of the higher numbered logs.

howard251's reply to BinaryBoy #1791 @

I had deleted the other log, so I sent a new set from another DL. Hope it helps you to solve this , its quite a hasstle decoding the files manually.

BinaryBoy's reply to howard251 #1792 @

The basic problem is that it's not detecting that all the parts have been downloaded so it doesn't bother to decode the file. I don't know why that's happening though. Looking into it.

howard251's reply to BinaryBoy #1793 @

Thanks, i really appreciate you taking the time - on a weekend even. Especially since it seems I am the only user having this trouble.

BinaryBoy's reply to howard251 #1794 @

No problem. Build 552 from http://www.binaryboy.com/patch.php has some extra logging that will record the reason why a completion check fails. For example, it will either record the part number that it can't find or it will record a specific error number. That should help to narrow down the cause. Either -log, -declog or both need to be used to enable this.

howard251's reply to BinaryBoy #1795 @

I grabbed the new build, but its crashing all over the place. I refreshed a large group and it went to merging cache, then went not responding. I have tried several .NZBs , they load, a DL starts, and then I get a windows box "bboy.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. .. ." and thats about it.

howard251's reply to howard251 #1796 @

actually, its "binary boy has encountered a problem. .. ." not bboy.exe

BinaryBoy's reply to howard251 #1798 @

Very weird. Can you send me the last few lines of log.txt when it crashes?

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #1799 @

Found the logging problem. Uploading new build soon.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #1800 @

New build uploaded.

howard251's reply to BinaryBoy #1803 @

I just sent those few lines to support, now I see you have a new build allready, lol - your quick. I will grab it now and see.

howard251's reply to howard251 #1804 @

Ok, I have a log for ya, I may even see what the trouble is. My cable service is not the best , and as I dl speed fluctuates sometimes droping to 0 for a few secs b4 comming back in. Also if I watch the progress tab, some files stall at the message 'ARTICLE' or some other that I can't recall just now, 'message body' maybe. Anyway they will sometimes wait there, while other files complete on the other 4 slots. In the log I see it says 'still downloading part 15' where it checked for the parts, and that must have been what happened - part 15 was stuck there in the download process. I will send the log to your support address in a few secs.

BinaryBoy's reply to howard251 #1805 @

Yeah part 15 is the problem. I have a feeling maybe that download failed but Binary Boy left it in the parts folder anyway. Check my email.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #1806 @

Following the clues... When an article times out, BB used to just tell Windows to delete the file and then would retry. Now it uses the delete method from the Privacy tab in the Settings. I have a feeling that one of those methods isn't actually working. Please let me know which option you're using for deleting parts on the Privacy tab.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #1807 @

In fact, please run regedit and let me know the follwing values from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hochsw\BinaryBoy\1.00:

DelMethodParts
DelMethodAttachments

If there's a crazy number in one of those, it might not delete the file.

howard251's reply to BinaryBoy #1808 @

delete method parts REG_DWORD (4)
delete method attachments REG_DWORD (4)

Both are set to random data 1 pass. The thing is though, the files DO download. They assemble complete with Dr. Binary and unRAR fine. Sometimes I grab one small par, and it always verifies the files are complete.
I just installed that NSW2003 I sent you the log for - if one of the parts had been missing, or if Dr B had filled it with zeros or left it trunciated I would never have gotten a good iso from the RARs.

BinaryBoy's reply to howard251 #1809 @

Ok. Different theory. Are you scanning your BBT files with antivirus software? Or is some other utility accessing the BBT files?

When BB checks to see if all parts exist, it also checks to see whether the parts can be opened. If a part can't be opened, BB assumes the file is still being downloaded.

Here's what might be happening (using a 2 part file as an example):

BB downloads part 1 of 2
AntiVirus starts scanning part 1
BB sees part 2 doesn't exist yet so it doesn't try to decode

BB downloads part 2 of 2
AntiVirus is still working on part 1
BB sees all parts exist but is unable to open part 1 because it's still being scanned so it assumes 1 is still being downloaded.

File is never decoded because it never appears to be complete at the end of a part download.

howard251's reply to BinaryBoy #1810 @

I'm using Kasperski internet security 6.0, which has an AV running. It was set to scan all files - I just set it to scan by extension (the extension list does not include .BBT) upon reading the above. I'll try a few DLs and see if that makes a differance.

howard251's reply to howard251 #1813 @

It was Kasperski all along. I had installed it earlier the same day I upgraded Binary Boy, and when the incompletes started showing up I just assumed it was the new build and never thought the anti virus could be behind it. I was unable to get Kasperski to ignore the .BBT files, the scan by extension option seems to have no effect, and placing the parts folder in the 'trusted zone' also had no effect. There is an area where you can view the activity of the scanner and the .BBT files were still being scaned there.
So, Kasperski is no more, I switched to AVG and now have no more incompletes, tried several DLs and all arived in the attachments folder. I'm sorry I put you through it for the last few days. Thanks very much for all your help.

BinaryBoy's reply to howard251 #1814 @

Well at least I know a potential cause if anyone else reports a similar problem. Happy downloading!