Forums / Support / queue downloaded articles...

queue downloaded articles...

i set BB to download all articles in the groups i search. however, sometimes it appears that it purges my cache and starts over again from scratch. im usually fine with this until i hit a group with > 1mil articles... how can i tell BB to f*ck it and just give me the current articles so i can begin downloading?

if this exists, will it cache the partial list in case i want to get the rest at a later time, but not have to re-download articles i already searched through?

BinaryBoy's reply to TooCrooked #1719 @

The "Last" Starting Point option grabs the server's most recent headers. Is that what you want? The headers will be added to the end of the current cache file even if that creates a gap. If you later need those missing headers, BB is smart enough to break up a refresh into multiple requests to fill the gaps without downloading everything again.

If you want to search only the headers already on your hard drive, right-click the Refresh button.

It shouldn't delete whole cache files without a reason. Headers are normally deleted under just a few circumstances.

[LIST]
[*]The headers are older than the oldest on the server
[*]A cache file hasn't been updated after the number of days on the Newsgroups tab in the Settings
[*]Headers are older than the "Delete headers older than" option on the Server tab in the Settings
[/LIST]

TooCrooked's reply to BinaryBoy #1723 @

well, check this.. lets say i go to a group i havent been to before. it has 1 million articles, but i dont know. i set my program to download them all.

as i become aware that there are a million articles (becuase currently i have 600k+ theoretically in this situation) how can i tell bb to stop looking for more articles, and just give me the 600k it already has so i can begin downloading?

also, i have a question about header filtering. i want to block a download based on the newsreader it reports as using and the poster's sender's ID suffix. but in another instance, i want to block based on someone who's header contains an IP address...

how do i write the proper syntax for that? that is, if the newsreader is "binaryToy", the ID suffix is "@yahoo.com" and the ip is "127.0.0.2"?

BinaryBoy's reply to TooCrooked #1724 @

as i become aware that there are a million articles (becuase currently i have 600k+ theoretically in this situation) how can i tell bb to stop looking for more articles, and just give me the 600k it already has so i can begin downloading?

They are being downloaded to a temporary file and that temporary file will be deleted when you click stop. I felt it was better to stop immediately than have BB seemingly freeze while processing the file. There is a bit of a kludge though. If you can somehow cause a connection error, BB will preserve what it has so far. On a laptop you can do this by turning off the wireless connection.

also, i have a question about header filtering. i want to block a download based on the newsreader it reports as using and the poster's sender's ID suffix. but in another instance, i want to block based on someone who's header contains an IP address...

how do i write the proper syntax for that? that is, if the newsreader is "binaryToy", the ID suffix is "@yahoo.com" and the ip is "127.0.0.2"?

Binary Boy filters on only one line in the header at a time so it doesn't know if two separate lines are in the same header. You can do an OR across multiple lines but not an AND.

Assuming the IP address is in a "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header and the newsreader name is in a "X-Newsreader:" header, you can filter on any of those criteria like this:

("From:" & "@yahoo.com"),
("NNTP-Posting-Host:" & "127.0.0.2"),
("X-Newsreader:" & "Binary Boy")