Forums / Support / CPU Throttling

CPU Throttling

is there a way of adding a feature where BB will only use xx% of the cpu.
When my BB searches/merges a large list the whole machine comes to a halt.
The cpu shows as sometimes 99% used by binboy.exe

BinaryBoy's reply to pgb204 #1665 @

In 1.96 there's not and probably won't be in the future. In 2.0, merging and searching take place in a separate thread and there will eventually be an option to adjust its priority.

TedB's reply to BinaryBoy #1667 @

Maye a better solution is to do what I've done and set BB.exe's priority at startup to be Lower than other programs or even Idle only.

That way it can have 100% if you're not doing anything else, otherwise it's free to roam.

This can be done using some utilities or adding a command line startup using the well-documented switch in Win2k/XP..... just google for the answer.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the size of your memory and a dynamic fragmented page file together may be inhibiting the entire headers list on some huge servers from being sorted... that can be avoided by not downloading ALL of them every time, just the new ones, or just the last 100,000 etc..

I prefer using binsearch.info to find subject of interest, download the nzb, import that into BB from the Queue page, then download that way....:D

BinaryBoy's reply to TedB #1668 @

Oops. I forgot about Binary Boy's -LTP switch. It will lower the priority of the whole app. I was thinking only of lowering the priority of searching. Click Start | Run and type: binboy.exe -LTP

Or see the Command-Line section of the help file to see how to store it in the binboy.xml file.

pgb205's reply to BinaryBoy #1677 @

So something like this should work if i edit the binary boy shortcut settings?

"C:\Program Files\Binary Boy\BinBoy.exe" -multi -LTP

BinaryBoy's reply to pgb205 #1678 @

Yes, that should do it.

pgb205's reply to BinaryBoy #1679 @

To TedB:
I did find the start command here http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=0364

but can't seem to get it working with the BB. I get invalid directory error.
Can you paste your string please if it's not too much trouble,

thank you very much

TedB's reply to pgb205 #1682 @

To be honest I don't... I use a thing called Desktool that autohides a shortcut application bar up the left hand side of my screen, so that the button calls BB with the parameters:
-multi -DynAdjust -DecodeSlow -LTP -noTray
and it works for me.

This allows me to have 2 copies of BB open same time.... one points to my ISP's free server, the other to BB for the fills of stuff the first one missed or doesn't carry....

Works for me!!!

I'd right click and send a copy of the standard BB icon to the desktop, right-click properties, which should read "C:\Program Files\Binary Boy\BinBoy.exe" and just add a space and your parameters to the end of it.....

BinaryBoy's reply to TedB #1683 @

Another switch I forgot about. I'm losing it.

pgb205's reply to BinaryBoy #1700 @

-multi -DynAdjust -DecodeSlow -LTP -noTray

ok so what is the purpose of decodeslow. Wouldn't it be a subset of LTP?

thank you

BinaryBoy's reply to pgb205 #1701 @

Yes. In my first response in this thread I'd completely forgotten that BB 1.96 does have a separate decoding thread. -DecodeSlow lowers the priority of that decoding thread so it's close to what you asked for.

There's a common library that contains all the 2.0 non-GUI code for things like handling downloads, decoding, history,etc... The library runs in its own thread. BB 2.0 and Usenet Radio both use this library with their own GUIs on top of it.

BB 1.96 was not designed in such a modular way so most of the older low level code is tightly integrated with the GUI, but I did manage to separate out the decoder so that 1.96 can use the 2.0 library for that. The -DecodeSlow switch in 1.96 will lower the priority of the 2.0 library where the decoding takes place. -LTP lowers the priority of the whole app.