Forums / Support / Hits dont match my Search criteria

Hits dont match my Search criteria

I cant get the hang of this, something I am not understanding. When I do a search like for "Advanced Registry Optimizer", I dont use quotes since then I get nothing. It seems like BB is seaching for anything with any of those three words! So I get hundreds of hits but sometimes none have all three words. I pasted one search result into wordpad (since doesnt seem to be a way to save search results) then used Find and not one hit. I searched the forum and reviewed the Help for several hours but no one even asks this question. So I must be way off on something here. Otherwise I love it. Please help.

Dave H
Winsleuth:(

BinaryBoy's reply to Winsleuth #1320 @

When you enter a list of words separated by spaces, Binary Boy silently inserts an OR between each word. So it becomes word1 OR word2 OR word3

If some of the search results didn't contain any of the words, a different search string may have matched. Binary Boy will match a subject if ANY search string matches and NONE of the filters match. In addition to the main search string, there's the global search string on the Search Strings tab in the settings, the list search string in the Advanced section of the group list editor and the group search string in the group properties in the group list editor.

To see the search string help text, go to Help Contents under the Help menu, open the Searching & Filtering section and double-click Searching Overview.

If you want to see which search string is matching each subject, go to the Logging tab in the Settings and check "Log search/filter result for every subject". That will write each subject to a log file along with the name of each search string that matched. log.txt will be at "c:\program files\binary boy\log.txt"

Find a subject that you think shouldn't match and look at the name beside it. You can send me the subject and the search string if you like. support at binaryboy dot com or send a private message here on the board.

Winsleuth's reply to BinaryBoy #1321 @

That is a lot of info and explains my problem. I was just trying to use it like I Google and getting no where. If I cant get the hits I want I will get back to you. I have never seen a program work like this in my seventeen years of fixing computers, training, etc. but I only rarely have had time to get into Newsgroups. If I can get results I will be happy. Thanks for the quick reply. If you need a beta tester and I am done with my last beta project and I will be using this now quite a bit.

Winsleuth

BinaryBoy's reply to Winsleuth #1322 @

Aside from the way they work together, the search strings were based on deja.com, although google bought that and changed the way it works now.

There's no longer an official beta program. The beta is available to everyone at http://www.binaryboy.com/patch.php

Winsleuth's reply to BinaryBoy #1400 @

I started using the 410 build ?, forget number but the latest and it seems to be doing better searches. Before I didnt think straight Boolean phrases worked right but now it seems to be just like Google or the like. I am not familiar with the deja... mentioned in your email. My only complaint now is that it is too hard to minimize then restore BB. I will get a screen back that just shows the counter counting up and a few fields but not the whole GUI. Then maybe later it will pop back or for sure when the search is done. Still worth the wait but annoying. Thanks for the help.:)

BinaryBoy's reply to Winsleuth #1401 @

The search logic is still the same as before. One difference from google is that BB defaults to OR instead of AND when you enter words separated by spaces. deja.com became Google Groups

What you might be seeing with the minimize/restore is just BB being slow. Although decoding happens in a separate thread, downloads are still in the same thread as the GUI. If you're in the middle of a fast download, the GUI will be less responsive. In BB 2.0, the GUI has its own thread to avoid this.

Winsleuth's reply to BinaryBoy #1402 @

OK, the AND OR thing will straighten me out. About 2.0, I see it is available. Now I am a registered user of the 1.96. Can I install 2.0 in a separate directory rather on top of or in place of 1.96? If not, if I go 2.0 all the way do I stay registered or will I need to buy it in a month when it expires? Please advise me on that one and I'll be good to go for a while. Thanks,

Winsleuth;)

BinaryBoy's reply to Winsleuth #1403 @

OK, the AND OR thing will straighten me out. About 2.0, I see it is available. Now I am a registered user of the 1.96. Can I install 2.0 in a separate directory rather on top of or in place of 1.96? If not, if I go 2.0 all the way do I stay registered or will I need to buy it in a month when it expires? Please advise me on that one and I'll be good to go for a while. Thanks,

Winsleuth;)

2.0 is a very early test version and is definitely not meant to replace 1.96. You can copy the exe anywhere and run it. It doesn't install anything. It will read your 1.96 settings but will not overwrite them. If you refresh a nesgroup, it will update your cache files. 1.96 and 2.0 have the same cache format so that's not a problem.

When 2.0 is finished and officially released, it will either be free for you or will be available at a discount. If you'd like me to check, send your order id by private message or by email (support at binaryboy dot com).

The current 2.0 trial doesn't expire even though it has a registration screen. Just click the continue trial button or enter your 1.96 registration name and order id.

acman's reply to BinaryBoy #1853 @

How would one search for example: (Dog | Cat) & (mpg. | .wmv) spelled out that should be, Dog or Cat in either .mpg or .wmv format.
Is this kind of search possible?

Thank you for a great program,
AC

BinaryBoy's reply to acman #1854 @

Exactly as you entered it: (Dog | Cat) & (mpg. | .wmv)

acman's reply to BinaryBoy #1855 @

If I may take this search example one step further, it is permissable to expand the search thus:
Dog | Cat | Bird) & (.mpg | .wmv | .jpg)

Thanks again!

Sorry, I actually ment to post Quote of this message but accidently edited it instead.

BinaryBoy's reply to acman #1856 @

The timeout will happen after a connection error. The Log tab might have more info or you could enable the disk log on the Logging tab in the Settings to get the exact error.

You can reduce the delay on the Server tab by changing the value in "Delay xxx secs after rejected connection"

acman's reply to BinaryBoy #1857 @

The timeout will happen after a connection error. The Log tab might have more info or you could enable the disk log on the Logging tab in the Settings to get the exact error.

You can reduce the delay on the Server tab by changing the value in "Delay xxx secs after rejected connection"

Thank you very much for the help.
AC

acman's reply to BinaryBoy #1859 @

If I take this search example one step further, it is permissable to expand the search thus:
(Dog | Cat | Bird) & (.mpg | .wmv | .jpg)

Thanks again!

JanetWalward's reply to acman #1915 @

I had the same problem. So thank you. :)