Forums / Support / Support Forum

Support Forum

Binary Boy isn't working? Post a question or search for an answer here.

jasonrt's reply to BinaryBoy #215 @

I think I've got this program figured out.
I've got my favorite newsgroups in automatic mode.
the computer goes on automatic, downloads what I want in the
first newsgroup, goes to the second, goes to the third, and cycles properly.

however, once it has about 11,200 or so bbt files it won't download anymore. it will download the headers. it will still cycle through the groups. it just won't bother getting any more files.

I've tried it for three straight nights with different binary groups, and it still hits the wall at the same number of those little parts.

What do I do?
(yes, I do have it set to delete the bbt files after they are converted to the rar, gif, jpg, etc)

Stoner's reply to BinaryBoy #216 @

What OS and newsgroup service are you using, and have you checked the errorlog.txt or the log file tab while downloading for more info? Are you reaching a limit with your newgroup service, or is your newsgroup service unreliable enought to not deliver all the BBT's? Is your OS limiting the number of files in a folder? Have you used this newsgroup service with a different app and had better luck with attachments?

I can't imagine why there would ever be that many BBT files! I download about 1.5 GB/day, and even with not so great NNTP servers, I've never had anything close to that many files unassembled.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #218 @

Originally posted by Stoner
Is your OS limiting the number of files in a folder?

This is the most common cause. Or, more specifically, the amount of space the filenames take up in the directory. To get around this, enable the Use separate parts folder for each newsgroup option on the Files tab in the settings and delete some .BBT files to make room for the new subfolders Binary Boy will create.

You can also create subfolders for attachments by enabling the Create subfolders for newsgroups option in the group list editor.

Since you're using auto mode, you might want to enable the File is incomplete option on the Header Filter tab in the settings to reduce the number of stray BBT files.

Kosmos's reply to BinaryBoy #222 @

Is your OS limiting the number of files in a folder?

On Windows systems there at two main drive formats
FAT (16 and 32) and NTFS
FAT(32) supports a max of 16k-32k files per folder after this your system will kick out a "disk full" error

Windows 98 Only supports FAT

Windows 2000 and XP supports Both FAT and NTFS and you can conver FAT disk to NTFS but not back so be carefull

jasonrt's reply to BinaryBoy #226 @

1. My OS is Windows 2000 using NTFS I don't know what the max number of files is per directory.

2. I do have binaryboy set to using different directories for different newsgroups. But even one newsgroup alt.binaries.multimedia.anime has enough headers to swamp the 11000 bbt limit my computer seems to impose.

3. I do have the "file incomplete" header limit on

4. Actual diskspace isn't a problem. the bbt files go on a drive with 8gb free while the assembled files go on a file with 35gb free

5. As for the log file, when things are working fine it gives the "downloading file" message. When there are all those bbt files I get "downloading header" message and it never bothers to download the rest of them. On occassion I get the "message in history" message but I figure that is a duplicate file and no worries.....

6. My news server (Shaw news) doesn't have download caps. I routinely download 3-8gb of files per night using x-news. I just wanted an automatic way to do it without me having to be there and binaryboy seemed like a much easier way to go.

Anyways, I've downloaded 4.1gb of stuff last night and the bbt directory has 10,100 files in it and there are 58100 queued items left, I'll see if it dies again when the bbt files get to that magic number :(

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #227 @

Check errorlog.txt for lots of error #82 messages. Error 82 means Binary Boy can't create the file or folder. This would confirm that the folder is full.

If that's the case, double check to make sure Binary Boy is deleting the BBT files after decoding. The option on the Files tab should be OFF. When it's on, it preserves the files.

There seems to be way too many stray BBT files, especially since you have the "File is incomplete" option enabled. Are you using version 1.91? If not, you should upgrade to get yEnc support.

jasonrt's reply to BinaryBoy #228 @

Okay, as before the directory fills with bbt files and things come to a grinding halt.

Currently there are 11,936 files comprising 4.99gb of bbt files and things will no longer download

as for the error log there are literally THOUSANDS of files with error message #112 after it.

As for the 1.91 yenc version of binary boy, well, I have version 1.91 but I'm doing a trial version to see if it will work for me. if I could realiably leave it to do its thing, or if I knew for sure that the yenc version would solve my problems I'd spend the money in a heartbeat.

But I'd hate to spend the money for something I couldn't use.

Oh, and it is set to delete bbt files after decoding them.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #229 @

A Windows 112 error means "There is not enough space on the disk." Maybe your whole drive has space but a particular partition is full. Or maybe it's a limitation of the file system.

The root cause though is that for some reason the BBT files apparently are not being decoded. Normally Binary Boy decodes and then deletes immediately unless there's an error. If you'd like to send me a BBT file or 2 or 3, I'd be happy to give it a test to see why it's not decoding.

BBT files matching the pattern *.1.1.BBT would be best since they're single part. Zipping them up would be helpful as well since email programs sometimes get confused seeing an attachment within an attachment.

If you'd like to send me any files, email to support@binaryboy.com

Stoner's reply to BinaryBoy #230 @

With NTFS partitions, there are virutually no limits on the number or size of files (unless you have disk quotas enabled). So, assuming your partition is not dirty (corrupt), it shouldn't be contributing to your problem.

jasonrt's reply to BinaryBoy #231 @

Okay, so now I know its a windows problem not a binaryboy problem. thanks for that.

There wasn't a single *.1.1.bbt in the list so my thought is that things are getting deleted as they get done but there are so many junk files that those are clogging the download.

I'm going to try to add some filters so I cut down on the number of downloads and see how that works. It isn't quite what I wanted to do, but if that's all windows can manage then so be it.

Oh yeah, there is space on the drive, I don't have it partitioned. I suppose there may be a 5gb per directory limit or something like that.

thanks for all the help :) (still wish it worked 100% though)

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #232 @

I downloaded some files from alt.binaries.multimedia.anime and had no BBT files leftover at all.

I suggested *.1.1.BBT because they would be complete. If you'd like to send me any *1.*.bbt (first part of any set) I might be able to find what's wrong. One known problem with the official 1.91 release is that it doesn't decode yEnc files unless "yEnc" appears in the subject. The betas at http://www.binaryboy.com/patch.php fix that. You don't have to buy the software to upgrade to a beta. They come in both free trial and Pro editions.

Stoner's reply to BinaryBoy #238 @

Jason - get the patch and give it a try. Once you get past some of these initial setup issues, I'm sure you'll be willing to pay for the pro version. It will definitely save you a lot of time in the long run!

Stoner's reply to BinaryBoy #239 @

Jason - are Shaw NG services available to the general public, or do you have to belong to one of their other services first?

If they do offer stand-alone NG services, I'd be interested in checking them out, if you could provide a URL.

If you like, please post your comments to the News Server forum under my thread "Which Newsgroup Service is the Best?"

TIA!

Kosmos's reply to BinaryBoy #240 @

When Stoner said there are virutually no limits on the number or size of files. He was right, i have seen folder get beyond 300,000 files in them and work fine, just as long as you dont try to browse them :)

Stoner's reply to BinaryBoy #242 @

Kosmos is also correct. While NTFS does not impose restrictions to the number of files/directories or the size of files, certain applications may not be able deal with "large" numbers in any of these categories.

I also should have been more specific to say that NTFS does not impose such limitations until the maximum partition space is reached. I thought that was kind of obvious, but I just wanted to be clear.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #243 @

There might not be any limits but he's getting a disk full error (112) anyway and that's a Windows error number. Very weird.

Binary Boy has no restrictions on the number of files in any folder. It can handle file sizes up to about 2GB. While decoding, Binary Boy only loads/writes a line at a time so large attachments never hit any RAM limits.

P.S. He sent me one of the BBT files by email and it checked out ok right down to the CRC. Whatever is causing that "disk full" error is probably leading to all those undecoded BBT files lying around.