Forums / Support / Having lotsa problems

Having lotsa problems

This is the first time I'm reaching out for tech support with BB.

I'm experiencing lots of hangs at various points, files that save to disk but don't decode (often, every single file I download from a newsgroup does not decode),etc.

A few months ago, I installed build 561 without removing build 1. I have been going back and forth between them for a while. I see that they seem to share the same prefs and stuff. Could I have corrupted them by doing this?

I have had to use the Task Manager to end process countless times, this could be a problem also??

I suspect that I should do a complete reinstall, to remove any possible corruption. What files exactly do I want to uninstall? Will the installer do this, or are there other support files that could be corrupt, that would normally not be removed?

By the way, I'm running XP Home SP2 with 1G ram.

BinaryBoy's reply to Cueballio #4220 @

It's ok to install a newer version over an older version. In general though it's a bad idea to return to the old one after the install.

Do the hangs happen after you refresh the subjects? In groups with millions of headers, it can take quite a while to merge the new subjects with the cache.

Are you running Kasperski internet security 6.0? It conflicts with Binary Boy and prevents files from being decoded. You can still press Alt-D or go to File | Dr. Binary to decode your files later though.

Look at the Search Strings tab in the Settings. Could anything in the Filename Filter be blocking your files?

If all else fails, you could create a log. To create a log, run Binary Boy from the Start | Run window like this: binboy.exe -log -declog

If it hangs or fails to decode a file, the log.txt file should show what happened. Depending on your Binary Boy version, you can find the log at either "c:\Program Files\Binary Boy\log.txt" or "My Documents\Binary Boy\Logs\log.txt" You can email log.txt to support at binaryboy dot com

Reinstalling might not help. You should at least try the log first. That way you might not have to lose all your settings and have to re-download all the headers.

Cueballio's reply to BinaryBoy #4221 @

I'm aware that downloading and folding in headers can take a long time, and the app can seem hung, when actually its not. The hangs I'm experiencing can be in the middle of a download, or almost anytime. I have even walked away and left the computer alone for a long time, in case it was not actually hung.

After I posted here, things got worse...Dr Binary would not decode files at all. I deleted both versions, first by running Add/Remove Programs, that took care of the beta. Then I ran the installer in the folder with the older version...I wasn't sure that would work, but it worked great. I then installed the latest beta. Guess what? It is like night and day...fast, responsive, stable. And I realize now that I have been limping along way before I installed the second version. I'm actually pretty amazed at the difference.

Other than corrupted files, what else could have caused the lugging down? Could cache files or something like that do it?

Also one other question, if I may...

How does the "remove matching" box on the queue tab work? I have been experimenting with it, and the file count doesn't seem to change.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the great program.

BinaryBoy's reply to Cueballio #4222 @

Other than corrupted files, what else could have caused the lugging down? Could cache files or something like that do it?

Possibly. But they wouldn't have caused Dr. Binary to stop working. Maybe there were thousands of files in the parts folder or download folder. Binary Boy needs to check the parts folder to see when a file is complete and needs to check for existing filenames in the download folder.

How does the "remove matching" box on the queue tab work? I have been experimenting with it, and the file count doesn't seem to change.

It should remove any item in the queue that matches the search string unless the item is already being downloaded. Just tried it and didn't see any problems.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the great program.

I'm glad you enjoy it. Happy downloading!