Forums / Support / Problem Connecting To easynews Using BinaryBoy And Vista

Problem Connecting To easynews Using BinaryBoy And Vista

I had a problem with my PC and had to install Windows Vista Ultimate and ever since I have been unable to conect to my easynews server using BinaryBoy.
Had no problems at all before using Windows Media Center now this is what the log says :

"Failed to connect to server "news.easynews.com" port 119. Will retry.
Connection failed with error 10050 - A socket operation encountered a dead network.."

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

pacmania

BinaryBoy's reply to pacmania #4111 @

That's a new one. Strange.

Do you have any security software that might prevent Binary Boy from connecting to the internet? If so, make sure Binary Boy is allowed to connect.

Try this for Windows Firewall:

Go to the Control Panel
Click "Allow a program through Windows Firewall"
If Binary Boy is listed, check it. If it's not, add it with the "Add program..." button

Click "Add port..."
Enter a name such as NNTP or Usenet, enter 119 for the port number and click TCP.
Click OK.

Do you still see the error?

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #4112 @

Found some potential solutions from
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1872283&SiteID=1

Is Binary Boy installed on a network drive? Vista doesn't like that for some reason. You'll have to install on a regular drive.

If that's not the problem, try renaming binboy.exe to something else like abcdef.exe in "C:\program files\binary boy" or wherever you installed it. Then run it. If it works, try renaming it back to binboy.exe.

pacmania's reply to BinaryBoy #4113 @

Hi there.Tried the first answer and no good I had already allowed binaryboy access thru the firewall.
It is installed on c: as normal so not that either.
Tried turning off firewall and still no good any other ideas ?
Thanks for your help thus far tho.

pacmania

BinaryBoy's reply to pacmania #4114 @

I'm stumped so far. I'm wondering if the problem is specific to easynews or maybe specific to Binary Boy.

Go to the start menu and type: cmd.exe
Then type: ping news.easynews.com

Does it get a response or does it show an error?

Can you try connecting to a different server with Binary Boy? Try nyc.binaryboy.com for example. Do you get the same 10050 error or does it say something else like an authorization failure?

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #4115 @

In addition to ping, try this app:
http://www.binaryboy.com/servertest.exe

Enter your server info, including port number, and it will try to connect. It's better than ping in this case because it uses a specific port number.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #4116 @

Another thought... On the Dialer tab in the Settings, make sure it's set to "permanent connection" if you're on cable modem. On the Proxy tab, make sure the option is unchecked unless you need it.

pacmania's reply to BinaryBoy #4117 @

just says "Failed to create socket. Error 10050"

BinaryBoy's reply to pacmania #4118 @

Ok. Definitely a local problem then. Did you check out the Dialer tab and Proxy tab?

pacmania's reply to BinaryBoy #4120 @

Dialer Tab set to "i'm using a permanent internet connection"

Proxy Tab unchecked.

still no good I have turned off firewall and allowed program access and not working to download headers at all.

Any more ideas ?

pacmania

BinaryBoy's reply to pacmania #4121 @

There's almost certainly something blocking port 119. Please download this new build of the servertest app. It allows you to enter a port number.

http://www.binaryboy.com/servertest.exe?a=sjdhsyw

(The extra junk on the end is to override any caching)

Try connecting to mail.binaryboy.com with port 110. Don't enter a username or password. Let me know if you see a line saying "+OK Hello there."

pacmania's reply to BinaryBoy #4122 @

Hi there.
Don't mean to sound thick but what program do I use to open the file I downloaded?

Thanks

BinaryBoy's reply to pacmania #4123 @

It's a program file so you can just click the link and either click "Open" if your browser allows or save it. If you save it, open the folder where you saved it and double-click servertest.exe.

pacmania's reply to BinaryBoy #4124 @

Sorry.
deleted the stuff at the end and it opened fine but when I ran test it said "Creating socket.
Failed to create socket. Error 10050"

pacmania's reply to pacmania #4125 @

Also I cannot connect and download from easynews using flashget either I get this "Error occured! Socket Error=10038"
Don't know if this tells you anything else.

BinaryBoy's reply to pacmania #4126 @

Also I cannot connect and download from easynews using flashget either I get this "Error occured! Socket Error=10038"
Don't know if this tells you anything else.

10038 means it tried to connect or otherwise use a socket that wasn't created yet. It's probably the same root cause. I'm guessing flashget didn't check for errors when it created the socket, continued on as if everything was ok and got the 10038 error when it actually tried to connect.

BinaryBoy's reply to pacmania #4127 @

Sorry.
deleted the stuff at the end and it opened fine but when I ran test it said "Creating socket.
Failed to create socket. Error 10050"

Was that with nyc.binaryboy.com or with mail.binaryboy.com? Please try mail.binaryboy.com with a port of 110 using the servertest.exe. I want to see if port 110 is allowed through. That would imply that something somewhere on your computer is specifically blocking port 119.

pacmania's reply to BinaryBoy #4130 @

Hi.
After trying everything you said and going into cmd, mmc.exe and changing the firewall settings it is now working normally.

Thank you very much for all of your time.

pacmania

BinaryBoy's reply to pacmania #4131 @

Great!