Forums / Support / Searching for author of posts

Searching for author of posts

Hello, can BinaryBoy find posts by searching for authors? For example, if I wanted to find everything posted Fram FordPicPoster@mail.com, is it possible to put FordPicPoster@mail.com somewhere and find his posts? I've tried searching for an author by putting his info in the search blank and had no luck.

BinaryBoy's reply to NewsNewb #3614 @

Yes, although there's a roundabout way you have to do it.

If you want to find articles from someone@somewhere.com, set the filter string under the Header Filter tab in the settings to ("From:" AND NOT "someone@somewhere.com") then run a search for * (a single asterisk).

Send the results to the Queue and only the articles from the author you want will be downloaded.

Proper searching by author will be in a future version.

NewsNewb's reply to BinaryBoy #3617 @

Thanks for the quick reply! That was lickity split!

I put ("From:" AND NOT "someone@somewhere.com")

(With the accual user of course)

In the header string box, then ran a search for *
Well, it found his posts allright, but it found lots of posts from other people too.
I think it pretty much found all the headers from everyone, but that's better than what I got before.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Should I use the Parentheses () or not?

I appreciate your help. This is a great program, and it'll be greater once I figure it out better and buy it.
Thanks again

BinaryBoy's reply to NewsNewb #3620 @

Send them all to the Queue and it will begin discarding the ones that don't match. You might be able to limit the results by using the "Last" starting point.

The parentheses are helpful if you add more to the filter and want to keep things separated. In this particular filter string, the parentheses don't change the meaning.

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #4197 @

You can now search by author in the regular search box without having to use the filter method. http://www.binaryboy.com/patch.php Happy downloading!