Forums / General / Newsserver

Newsserver

Im after a new binaries newserver for mp3`s etc etc

However i am after one which allows payment via paypal because i dont have a credit card only a debit card and most do not accept it.

Any ideas?

BinaryBoy's reply to geewhizza #662 @

I've been considering adding a PayPal option. Currently one person is sending individual payments via PayPal and I've just begun experimenting with the PayPal subscription features. If you're considering signing up, email support at binaryboy dot com and I'll send you a URL for the order form. The PayPal process isn't fully automated yet so if you want to create an account right away, send your desired username and password by email and I'll set it up ahead of time.

The only service level available right now is Binary Boy Newsgroups Deluxe, which is the 3 main servers + the Pro for a total of 2.75GB per day for $14.95. The first 2 days are free so you can cancel before the first charge.

pro.binaryboy.com (750MB per day. best completion rate and speed)
news2.binaryboy.com (1000MB per day. Highest limit)
news.binaryboy.com (500MB per day.)
binaries.binaryboy.com (500MB per day)

geewhizza's reply to BinaryBoy #673 @

Thanks yes i may join , im just looking through several others newservers which also offer paypal etc

Some are saying "No logging of your reading" meaning basically if the Ria etc turned up they couldnt produce a list of people who are downloading mp3`s etc etc

What is your policy? as i do download mp3`s (mostly the 60`s and 70s of music i have on vinyl or cd but its usually quicker to download than to convert myself)

And i do think you should offer the paypal option as a lot of people have cards that are either not accepted because theyre a debit card.

thnx

BinaryBoy's reply to geewhizza #674 @

Since the servers are run by two third-party providers, binaryboy.com itself can't log anything related to downloaded articles. I've emailed the admins to get the answer. What I know for certain is that the pro server logs the message-id and username of each post. I'll let you know when the admins respond with further info.

geewhizza's reply to BinaryBoy #677 @

Thanks would appreciate it, as we are now living a time when people are getting sued over almost anything.

BinaryBoy's reply to geewhizza #678 @

For the Pro server:
We don't log downloads as a general rule. We may turn on logging for a
short term basis to debug a problem.

For news, news2 and binaries:
Posting activity is logged but no download activity is logged whatsoever.

Upload information logged includes: username, IP address, newsreader used,
newsgroups posted to.

geewhizza's reply to BinaryBoy #679 @

Thanks for the info much appreciated , i will now talk to my partner(if i dont run it across her world war 3 may break out) and will probably sign up.

geewhizza's reply to geewhizza #681 @

I tried to email support but the email was returned...i sent a Pm to you..

BinaryBoy's reply to geewhizza #682 @

Don't know why that happened. I got the PM notification by email just fine.

geewhizza's reply to BinaryBoy #683 @

Ok we will give it a go for a month and see how it goes etc

any ideas on when it will be set up etc.

thnx

BinaryBoy's reply to geewhizza #684 @

I sent you the URL in a PM. It should create the server account automatically as soon as you click the confirm button at PayPal. I guess I could post it here too.... http://www.binaryboy.com/server2.php

geewhizza's reply to BinaryBoy #685 @

So far i am not impressed with the servers (tried all 4)(sorry), my current server as more posts and more complete posts on it. I am about to cancel now.

BinaryBoy's reply to geewhizza #686 @

Ok. You'll continue to have access until the trial ends.

Stoner's reply to BinaryBoy #687 @

If you're looking for good completion rates, I've found that no one beats www.giganews.com. They aren't the cheapest, and don't accept PayPal, but maybe your debit card will work. I think they have a three day free trial, if you want to give them a try.

geewhizza's reply to Stoner #688 @

Thanks for the reply i will look into the suggestion.