Forums / Support / Article Not Found 1.97 build 61 and later

Article Not Found 1.97 build 61 and later

Does it retry after failures yet? Many parts are getting "430 No such article" and I know that retrying would work in most cases. However, the part disappears from the queue and I don't know how to get it back so that I can manually retry.

There might be a bug where Binary Boy attempts to download results from the previous newsgroup using the current newsgroup, leading to the "430 No such article" error. This MIGHT be triggered by changing newsgroups while in the middle of a search, which used to be impossible. I have a fix in mind and will try it tonight.

For now, try to avoid switching newsgroups until the previous search returns its results.

Sarge's reply to BinaryBoy #15494 @

This occurs without newsgroup switching, as it was a straight NZB download with no searches. I don't believe this is a Binary Boy issue at all. Other readers that I've used also get "No such article" error, but if they have the facility to retry, it usually gets it in the second or third attempt. So, at least in my instance, it's a Giganews thing, not your software.

BinaryBoy's reply to Sarge #15495 @

Ok. Thanks for info. I'll see what I can do about both issues.

Sarge's reply to BinaryBoy #15502 @

Regarding the queue, I recommend the following. I hope that other users can chime in with "You're crazy" and "I would like this" to vote on the following:

- For attachments with missing parts, have some facility to retry those missing parts
- If retry does not succeed for a particular part, leave the part in the queue
- Don't remove any part from the queue that cannot be downloaded; only the user should be able to remove those parts. Mark the part as "bad" so the user can see a reason why it could not be downloaded.
- Don't start downloading automatically when a queue is loaded, e.g. from NZB. Allow the user to select parts from the queue for download. Currently, the user must abort the downloads because it starts automatically. This leaves unwanted parts in the main parts folder. Currently, to select which parts to download in the queue, the user must delete all parts from the queue except for the parts that are needed. This is very time-consuming and frustrating. It would be best to allow marking the parts for download. If a user wants all parts selected, then Ctrl+A could select all.
- Display the parts in the queue as a tree. In other words, only show one row per attachment. If the user wants to see individual parts, then let them expand the tree node to see them.

These are just recommendations for usability of the Binary Boy Queue, not complaints. Thanks!

Shinji's reply to Sarge #15504 @

You wanted to hear other opinions for your suggestions:

- For attachments with missing parts, have some facility to retry those missing parts
I agree (and I guess the new build65 does it).

- If retry does not succeed for a particular part, leave the part in the queue
I do not agree. it would destroy the auto/next/loop Function from the Search tab.
I Think BB would remain in the same Newsgroup and not go to the next one it theer remain unloaded parts in the queue.

- Don't remove any part from the queue that cannot be downloaded; only the user should be able to remove those parts. Mark the part as "bad" so the user can see a reason why it could not be downloaded.
I do not agree because of the above mentioned reason.

- Don't start downloading automatically when a queue is loaded, e.g. from NZB.
I do not agree because I want BB to run 24/ automatically. I prefer it to do what I want without manual button-pushing. If it would wait for my 'OK' then the whole programm would not be usefull for me any more.

- Allow the user to select parts from the queue for download. Currently, the user must abort the downloads because it starts automatically.
My Optionion: It is better this way (starts download directly) because then you can throw the big NZB file to BB and forget it.
You don't have to wait until BB inserted all the postings in the queue (and with some hundred thousands of postings it can take a while) and then start it manually.

- It would be best to allow marking the parts for download. If a user wants all parts selected, then Ctrl+A could select all.
I do not want to manually (re)select the Parts that are in the queue, just to start the download of the queue.

- Display the parts in the queue as a tree. In other words, only show one row per attachment. If the user wants to see individual parts, then let them expand the tree node to see them.
Hm. I can't image what this feature would look like, but since the postings in the Newsgroups are often not sorted, the queue would need lots of time to sort the way it shows them in the queue tab. Also I don't know if it would be useable, because in the search tab I can sort the postings by date (oldest first). How should BB show this in the queue tab?

I guess you use BB mostly to download Parts from a 'small' nzb file.

Have a nice day!

BinaryBoy's reply to Shinji #15505 @

If the queue had a command to load the NZB file for later downloading, would that solve the problem? Then you could remove unwanted files with the filter at the top of the Queue tab.

Shinji's reply to BinaryBoy #15506 @

My Opinion: I guess that may work for Sarge.

BinaryBoy's reply to Shinji #15507 @

"Load NZB for later " has been added to the queue right-click menu.

Sarge's reply to BinaryBoy #15508 @

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the comments, Shinji. I agree that some of my recommondations could interfere with the "Auto" feature. However, BB could easily implement those features for manual usage, and by default ignore them for the Auto feature.

BB admin, I appreciate the "Load NZB for later" feature. It should help. I'm not sure if this addresses any of my suggestions above. Namely the retry logic (which would not interfere with Auto feature at all), the ability to mark or tag files/parts for download in the queue, and leaving failed downloads in the queue. Perhaps the queue is the wrong place to mark files and parts. An intermediate window, like "Search results" could be a good place to mark which files/parts you want to add to the Queue window. NZB files could load into this intermediate "Search results" window. That would address the majority of my recommendations above.

The app is still killer, and working well for my needs.

Thanks,
--Sarge

BinaryBoy's reply to Sarge #15509 @

The idea was that you could load the NZB into the queue without starting the download and edit it there. A couple other people have suggested a selection window for Dr. Binary so I might be able to make something for the queue without doubling the effort.

Also... in addition to the retry features that already exist (lost connection, etc...) retry was added in build 64 for "430 No such article." it will delay 10 seconds and try again. It will send up to 3 requests. At some point, it might be made a little more sophisticated.

Preserving the failed queue item only in manual mode could be a possibility. I'll consider that.

Sarge's reply to BinaryBoy #15510 @

Some feedback on the retry logic you added. I've exercised this extensively with ~300GB of downloads. It has improved attachment completion significantly. Previously, about 1 out of 25 attachments required Dr. Binary. With build 64, only 1 out of 200 attachments requires Dr. Binary on average. Occasionally, after 8 hours of download queue, zero parts remain and I have 100% completion! Thank you for adding the retry feature.

BinaryBoy's reply to Sarge #15511 @

Great!

gavind's reply to BinaryBoy #16591 @

nice to see this finally working for you guys. I tested this myself just to check it out. It works!