Forums / General / hide system tray icon?

hide system tray icon?

is there anyway to have BinaryBoy running, in sleep mode, or anytime, without having the little icon appear in the system tray?

I would like, when i am finished downloading, overnight, for all the windows to disappear, and the system tray icon to disappear, as well.... Have no evidence that the program was running at all.

Can i set binary boy to not only hang up the internet connection when a scheduled download is finished, but in addition, shut the program down completely?

someone else uses my computer and occasionally they get up in the morning before me ;-) ..... they might discover the little system tray icon and wonder what it is... i dont want them to find it.

Stoner's reply to wilburn #327 @

The -Close argument will close Binary Boy when a search is stopped or completed. You can add this to the Target of a Shortcut's Properties, or at a Command Prompt or in a Batch File.

For example: "C:\Program Files\Binary Boy\BinBoy.exe" -Close

wilburn's reply to wilburn #328 @

um, i dont quite understand....

you mean i just rename the exe file?

or add those words into the Properties field of a shortcut?

Stoner's reply to wilburn #329 @

No, don't rename the .exe.

Shortcut Properties are Operating System specific, so I can't tell you exactly how to do it. Look for the Shortcut Property referencing where Binary Boy is installed (like "C:\Program Files\Binary Boy\BinBoy.exe"), and append the " -Close" to it (without the quotes).

An example from WinXP is attached.

wilburn's reply to wilburn #330 @

ok, thanks, i will try it. I am running Windoze Millenium.

what would the procedure be? I start the program up using the appropriate modified shortcut, then minimize to sleep until scheduled download? then when the program finishes its download, it will turn itself off, and the system tray icon will disappear?

is there anyway to actually automate the entire process, ie, program starts up at scheduled time, dials internet conneciton, downloads, then shuts itself off, all automatically?

Could i use Windows scheduler to accomplish this? And point the scheduler to the appropriate modified shortcut? I dont know if that would work... what do you think?

Or is there a scheduler inside Binary Boy to actually schedule start up?

thanks for your help.

BinaryBoy's reply to wilburn #331 @

You can use -NoTray to hide the tray icon right from the start. There are additional command-line arguments in the help file. For lots more info, go to the Binary Boy Help menu, click Help Contents, open the Command-Line section and double-click Command-Line Arguments.

wilburn's reply to wilburn #332 @

groovy, thanks.

can i have more than one line argument? is that explained in the help file? (I am using a machine without binary boy right now so i cant see the help file)

BinaryBoy's reply to wilburn #333 @

You can use as many as will fit on a line.

You could use the windows scheduler or the built-in scheduler. There are instructons here: http://www.binaryboy.com/faq.php#qHowToSchedule

By the way, is the web site slow for anyone else right now? It's as slow as mud for me. I'll submit a problem ticket in a couple minutes.

Stoner's reply to wilburn #334 @

While I think it's great that BB includes it's own scheduler, I prefer to keep all of my scheduled tasks in one place - it's just easier to manage.

So, yes, you can create a batch file and schedule it to be run whenever you like. I've attached a shortened version of the file I use to do this, as an example - you'll just need to rename it from .txt to .bat (the forum doesn't allow posting .bat files), and change the .lst file it refers to to the one you want it to use. Oh, and the rem'd line simply includes the -log arugument, so I can easily switch to it when some additional logging info is needed.

BB - yes - the forum's been slow since my first post to this thread - thought it was just me!

wilburn's reply to wilburn #336 @

yeah the forum was slow yesterday, seems fixed now.

thanks for your replies, but some of this is over my head. I did change the shortcut properties and added a -NoTray -Close to it and that worked brilliantly, thank you for that.

I went to the FAQ but i didnt see specific instructions on how to use the Windows Scheduler to autmaticaly launch BinBoy. Do i just schedule Windows to open the Shortcut i modified? Wont BinBoy then open with the full window view? Or can I specify it to minimize on open, and then the -NoTray thing would prevent it from even being seen at all.. is that correct, or am i wrong?

BinaryBoy's reply to wilburn #338 @

The FAQ only explains Binary Boy's scheduler. I've never used the Windows scheduler but the basic idea would be to have it run binboy.exe and pass the list filename (such as mylist.lst) on the command-line along with -close.

Stoner's reply to wilburn #340 @

There's a bug in WinME that can cause scheduled shortcuts not to run, so Microsoft recommends scheduling the "target" program, rather than the shortcut. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267702 for details.

That leaves you with two options with MS Scheduler.

1) Schedule the "target" program (BinBoy.exe), and add the arguments you previously added to your shortcut to that scheduled task.

2) Schedule a batch file to run that executes BinBoy.exe (like my previous example.)

It's been soooo long since I had WinME installed that I can't remember the specifics on how to implement either of these. Maybe someone else running WinME will chime in with more details. But, if you can't implement one of the above options, the Binary Boy Scheduler may be your answer.

No matter which option you choose, I believe there is still going to be evidence that Binary Boy is running (either as a visible window or minimized in the Taskbar). These options will simply close Binary Boy so that it's no longer visible after it's done searching/downloading.

For better privacy, consider upgrading to WinXP where each user has their own account.

Googler's reply to wilburn #1512 @

I think u need HideDragon,He can help u in office and home to hide tray icon.

The deailed please visit http://kinghome.51.net

is there anyway to have BinaryBoy running, in sleep mode, or anytime, without having the little icon appear in the system tray?

I would like, when i am finished downloading, overnight, for all the windows to disappear, and the system tray icon to disappear, as well.... Have no evidence that the program was running at all.

Can i set binary boy to not only hang up the internet connection when a scheduled download is finished, but in addition, shut the program down completely?

someone else uses my computer and occasionally they get up in the morning before me ;-) ..... they might discover the little system tray icon and wonder what it is... i dont want them to find it.