Forums / General / IE virus wtfvs

IE virus wtfvs

Hey guys I had an old laptop running XP Pro. A couple of weeks ago, every time I would connect to the internet via DSL or wireless, the hard drive light would come on - as if it were writing something to the hard drive. It would cause IE to run slower than dial-up. I looked in task manager and although the CPU usage was high, there didn't seem to be a process listed that was using it. I used LavaSoft Adaware to scan on a regular basis as well as Norton 2005. I eventually gave up and bought a new laptop (Vista Home), which now has the same problem. It is obviously related to something that I copied over to the new computer from the old computer. But the things is, Norton Internet security isn't picking up a virus. I used it to scan everything before copying it on to the new computer. Has anyone heard of such a thing or had the same problem? I'd much rather be able to find and remove the problem rather than restore.

Thanks!

BinaryBoy's reply to artkolkovk #6522 @

Not sure if it's the same thing but there's a virus like that that Windows Live OneCare (there's a free trial available) will detect. If it's what I'm thinking of, you have to remove it manually.

It will replace some of your startup apps with a copy of itself and will place the original files in a bak folder. If you look at the registry entries under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and you see that the .exe files those entries point to are only about 15KB and there is a /bak folder under the original location, you definitely have it.

Kam Silver's reply to artkolkovk #15369 @

Errrr you are not updating the virus patterns of Norton that is why viruses keeps slipping in your computer..

nikkil's reply to Kam Silver #16169 @

I had this too. For quick solution, just do a system restore.