Forums / General / Running BB twice

Running BB twice

Is it possible to make it so that Binary Boy can run twice at the same time

I have two pay newsproviders and i was thinking if i could get BB to run twice i can be downloading off one and browsing the other server with another working BB.

Is it possible?

geewhizza's reply to geewhizza #889 @

Thanks for the reply

It is great being able to do this especially if you have a couple of different newservers it is easier to fill in. etc

BinaryBoy's reply to geewhizza #890 @

Weird. My reply doesn't show up anymore. Here's the original reply from Jan 7, 1:21pm GMT:

Yes. Run the second instance from the Start | Run window like this: binboy.exe -multi

The last instance to close will overwrite the history file and settings so close the one you're browsing with first.

TedB's reply to BinaryBoy #1004 @

This is so cool I'm doing it all the time now, works great.... but maybe you could explain this "last instance overwrites" thing.....

Does it apply to just settings, or also to things like remembered File names or Message ids in History?

What about the headers cache, if used?

What other "issues" might there be to watch out for?

BinaryBoy's reply to TedB #1005 @

The header cache is about the only file that can update correctly from multiple instances. After each refresh, it locks the cache file, merges it, unlocks it and loads the results into memory. Assume all other settings, including filename and message-id history, will save only from the Binary Boy instance that you close last.

TedB's reply to BinaryBoy #1006 @

Okay, so do the filename and message-id files update separately, i.e. pointing 2 instances to 2 separate servers/different newsgroups would work, or are they held in memory and overwrite all others on exiting that instance of BB :eek: ?

Also what about Queue Saves?

BinaryBoy's reply to TedB #1007 @

Yes, both histories are held in memory because they have to be searched each time a file is downloaded. The queue files will overwrite only if they are for the same list.