Forums / General / Sad news

Sad news

A longtime Binary Boy user, supporter and beta tester has died.

Paul first wrote to me for tech support in 1999. I answered his questions and moved on. A couple days later, he wrote back with more questions and I answered them. At this point, most customers are satisfied, but every few days he would come up with more questions and complaints. Over the next four and a half years, we exchanged more than 2,000 emails and developed a friendship.

Paul is responsible for a large portion of the suggested improvements in Binary Boy and has found many bugs over the years. While I tend to focus on making Binary Boy technically correct internally, he pushed for many improvements in usability. If you find Binary Boy a little easier to use these days, then you’ve benefited from his suggestions.

Although Paul was fairly old (I estimate around 70+), he sounded very active and healthy and would have probably lived quite a bit longer if not for a sudden illness. In one of his last few emails, he mentioned he was sick and had to get some tests done in the hospital. Then he said would need an operation and would be in recovery for 2 – 3 months. Just a few weeks later he died.

Have a drink for Paul today and enjoy these quotes from his emails:

First mention of split files
I see in some groups a so called Master Splitter. Bboy does not seem to work with those files if those files are (just guessing) Master splitter types.

Struggling with the settings
Wish you could see my hair. Hardly any of it left after trying to get search to work

Be mindful of the next guy
There is a joke from WW II about the sign next to the slit trench latrine. It said step closer as the next guy may be barefoot

Sick day
I have been sick, the computer has been sick, the newsgroups have been sick etc.

After days/weeks of erasing the history and resetting other options:
How about a MASTER RESET button?

Remember previous servers
Has any one suggested that since you have a easy way to remember groups can you do the same for servers. It would save me a lot of wasted time for typos.

Select newsgroup by dropdown list
My personal next wish list would be a pre canned selection menu on news groups. Point and click type after list had been pre loaded.

Another split format
There always seems to be some SOB of tries to figure out how to screw things up with incompatible files. In this case he calls "HJ Split format".

General rant.
Damm the incompatibility..!!!

Inspiration for “Pad missing parts with 0s” feature.
Is it possible to build a dummy fill AVI to replace a bad segment (part) and still get the remaining parts to work. Can it be universal or ?

More descriptive error messages.
what does 10061 mean? Have you ever noticed that many programs have a error code of say (invented) of 12345 and no where can you find it in help!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking pseudo-German
was ist loose here

Force Download command.
you try to get part 3 but the system tell you it has been down loaded and refuses to do it. if you wipe out history your in deep do do becuase of several irons in fire. how can you force download of part 3???? over ride has been down loaded without loosing all history???

Safety tip.
Happy 4th .. don't sit on a fire cracker..!!!

Web site down
who can get to your web site... the ans. is..... not me

Doesn’t like yEnc
I wish people would stick to what works. does the world need yenc? Does anyone?

Delete button for news servers
In BBoy under settings, under server, under address; can you make it possible for one to delete an address.

Dropdown list for searches
given the yenc complication it would be nice to be able to have a push down list like the newsgroups for the search argument as now that has to change more often than before

Scoopie poopie?
what is the scoopie poopie on these. they seem to be missing a lot of news groups that newsfeeds.com has ??????

Opinion of Netscape
tried ns 7 and that sucks too but not as bad as 6

After seeing my picture
tested pix and looks a lot like Clark Gable (hee hee)

From the final 6 weeks:
I have been sick and spending time in Dr.office etc. which is why you have not heard from me.

5 weeks
mostly tests in hospital, but big event in about 2 weeks.

Mentions upcoming surgical procedure
If you don’t hear from me in a couple of months have a glass of schnapps and wonder if I am sufficiently warm in my present situation. (tee hee)