Forums / General / How to search media attachments

How to search media attachments

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this program and maybe I'm too stupid but I cannot find any media files except pictures.

I'm looking for any kind of movies (especially funny clips, commercials and so on) but BB does not find anything (not even multi-parted ones)!

What's my mistake? I made a list of all binary groups and some more, entered
*.mov | *.mpg | *.mpeg | *.avi | *.div* | *.asf | *.wmv into the search field and did not apply any filter criteria.

No results! Maybe I'm on a wrong server or maybe I should include zips and rars.
I'm using the demo for trial but I could not get any group from any BB newsserver os I took different ones.

Can please sbd. help me?!

Many thanks in advance
Kind regards

BinaryBoy's reply to Reth #609 @

Sorry, I don't know a specific newsgroup that has what you want, but movies are usually in newsgroups with "multimedia' in the name. Open the group list editor and type in multimedia and it'll list them. And yes, search for rar. Many large files are posted as rars.

Stoner's reply to BinaryBoy #610 @

Hi Reth:

You may want to initially try a seach string of just '*' to make sure everything else is setup correctly, and to see how things are being posted. Once you start getting files, you can then trim it down by filtering out what you don't want (my preference), or changing your search string to only include what you do want.

FYI - my search/filter strings generally don't include any wildcard characters (just '.mpg | .avi'). I don't think it matters either way, but if you still have problems, you might want to give it a whirl.

Stoner's reply to Stoner #611 @

I should have also said that, in addition to .rar's, you'll also find movies in parts (like movie.mpg.000, movie.mpg.001, etc). BB will automatically assemble these into complete files if the .000 files exists. Unfortunately, not everyone provides these, so you'll have to use the "Join Files" option (Alt+J on the File menu) to manually assemble them, or preferrably use the .par files (if included) to verify their integrity, and reassemble them. QuickPar is a great utility to do this - you can find it here http://www.quickpar.org.uk/ .