Forums / General / Filter for multimedia files only

Filter for multimedia files only

I am stumped on this one & there may not be a way to do it: I want to filter my groups so that only multimedia (multi-part) files (avi, rar, mpg, wmv, par, par2, etc.) show in the list. I don't want "picture" attachments such a jpg, gif, png, etc.

Many of the groups that are called "multimedia" either don't contain any multimedia files or are cross-posted by lots of items that only have a single "picture" attachement. I've tried filtering for the various "picture" formats I know of (jpg, gif, etc.), but still am getting lots of postings that are not multimedia, multi-part files. I am not downloading mp3 files, only multimedia files.
Thanks in advance

BinaryBoy's reply to WLASEEKER #427 @

You could try using the following filter to block single part posts:

"(1/1)" | "(01/01)"

or maybe search for "(*/*)" & !"/1)" & !"/01)"

When filtering by file extension, it's best to use the Filename Filter on the Header Filter tab in the settings. It not only filters on the subject but on the name in the article body as well so it catches articles that have inaccurate information in the subject. If it doesn't match the subject, it will download the file and then delete it if it matches the filter.

On the Header Filter tab there is also an option to filter files smaller than the given size. That might be handy.

WLASEEKER's reply to WLASEEKER #428 @

I rather thought this might be the case rather than BB "knowing" multimedia files from jpg's, etc. Thanks for the help. I give it a try. If I find a really good "filter" for multi-part files, I'll post it for everyone.